In Awendaw, trees greater than 18″ DBH can be removed when the tree has become diseased, dead or dying. Other factors may include:
- Trees pose a safety hazard to nearby buildings, or pedestrian or vehicular traffic;
- Trees prevent essential grade changes or all reasonable utility installations;
- Trees prevent all reasonable site configurations;
- Trees are within the footprint of a proposed residential structure, as shown on a site plan;
- Removal of trees is the only reasonable means by which building, zoning, subdivision, health, public safety, or other Town requirements can be met.
If the tree, with a DBH of 18” of greater, does not fall under the list above, the request may be authorized through the Board of Zoning Appeals.